Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Life Changing Experience By Elmer Barrera





Through out my short sixteen years of life I've lived and seen a lot of things that I don't think I'll ever forget. Many of which have created me in to the person I am today. But the one thing that completely affected me and changed my life was this.....

It all started September 18, 2005 family, friends and myself were at "The Azusa River"'. While being there I began feeling this tremendous headache that literally had me on my knees, the whole day I kept it to myself because I didn't want to ruin the day for anyone.

The next day, on a Monday, I woke up fine and went to school. After about an hour at school I began feeling that same headache so i went home, my mom and sister thought i was lying just to get out of school so nothing was done. The next was the same story so my mom decided to take me to the Doctor to see if there was truly anything wrong with me. When I went in to see the Doctor she didn't bother to take any test, she just said it was because I was overweight and sent me home. At home I told my mom that i know there's something wrong with me and she told me we'll wait and see.

The following day (Wednesday) as the pain was getting worse nothing changed it was exactly like the day before, I went to school, then home, then to the Doctor and when I was her she said the same thing, that it was because I was overweight.

At that point my mom and I were getting upset because she wasn't even taking the bother to check my blood or anything.we let another day go by hoping i would get better but as the next day came my headache became worse. So I went back to that Doctor hoping this time she would do her job, when I arrived there she saw me at the check-in stand and she came over with an attitude and said to the nurse there, "I am not going to see him!" then she walked away. As she walked away another Doctor that had over-heard came to me and said, "I'll see you". She quickly noticed that my skin was very pell, so she immediately asked the nurses to get blood counts and my blood sugar. After that was done she told me go home and I'll give you a call as soon as I get the results.

Once I got home there was a message on the voice machine, it was the Doctor. After hearing the message I broke down into tears, I couldn't believe what she had told me....I had Leukemia. Not only that but it had already spread to 90% of my blood, I was bound to had been dead by now if ir wasn't for this Doctor. Aside from God I'm very thankful for her that took the curtesy to see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment